Product no. 4003-400-B
The OrganoPlate 3-lane features 40 independent culture cells, each supporting two adjacent in-gel cultures and a perfusion channel, that can contain a perfused tubular tissue. Alternatively, you can create models with 2 tubules, flanking a central gel-lane that can also contain cells. The 3-lane models supports apical and basal access to epithelial and endothelial tubules, allowing barrier integrity and transport assays.
Left: Features and applications of the 2-lane and 3-lane OrganoPlate Right: Microfluidic design of a single culture cell
The lanes are 400 micron wide. Six wells of the 384-well-plate user interface connect to each microfluidic network in a 9x9 well grid, the central well provides viewing access to the microtissue.
What to expect when you order the 3-lane OrganoPlate®:
- Worldwide shipping
- Training video for in-gel seeding in the OrganoPlate
- Training video for tubule seeding in the OrganoPlate
- Protocols for the OrganoPlate
- Basic protocol for tubule seeding
- Basic protocol for in-gel seeding
- Specific model protocols (published models only)
- Barrier Integrity Assay
- Cell Lysis
Supported tissue models
The OrganoPlate® 3-lane is a microfluidic 3D culture plate, supporting up to 40 tissue models on a single plate. The OrganoPlate contains Phaseguides™, a proprietary, passive liquid handling technology for membrane-free definition of tissues in microfluidic chambers. The OrganoPlate is based on the industry-standard 384‑well plate for full compatibility with liquid handling- and readout equipment.
The OrganoPlate 3-lane 400 supports a range of cell types, including neurons, endothelial tubules, hepatocytes, CaCo2 cells, organoids and kidney epithelial proximal tubules. This plate allows for culture in-gel, tubular culture against the gel and combinations of in-gel and tubular culture in 3 lanes, allowing cells to interact through the absence of separating membranes or barriers.
Read this for more information on tissue model design in the OrganoPlate 3-lane 400.
What is a culture cell in the OrganoPlate®?
A culture cell is a fully autonomous organ-on-a-chip culture unit in the OrganoPlate®. The OrganoPlate 3-lane contains 40 3-lane culture cells, a 2-lane 96 2-lane culture cells, all in a standard 384 well plate format. The culture cells on a single OrganoPlate may be used all at once in an experiment, but can also be used individually.
What is a lane in an OrganoPlate® culture cell?
A lane is an individually addressable part of a culture cell in the OrganoPlate®. A 3-lane OrganoPlate features 3 adjacent lanes per culture cell, of which 2 are perfusable. The OrganoPlate 2-lane features 2 adjacent lanes per culture cells, of which 1 is perfusable. A single lane may contain cells in an ECM gel, a perfused epithelial tubule or just medium flow. By virtue of patented Phaseguide technology, no physical barriers are present between the lanes in the OrganoPlate, allowing co-cultured cells in adjacent lanes to interact and migrate freely.
Materials and equipment
The materials and equipment you need to work with the OrganoPlate® 2-lane 400 are listed below.
- Cells (cell lines, primary cells, iPSC-derived cells and others)
- Medium and standard culture materials
- Extracellular Matrix Gel, for example Collagen I or Matrigel® (Corning®)
- Mimetas Perfusion Rocker™ Mini (optional, please refer to the section below)
- Pipetting reservoirs 50 ml (e.g. VWR no. 613-1183)
- Multichannel pipette 5-350 µL (e.g. Sartorius® no. 730361)
- Multichannel tips (e.g. Sartorius® 790351)
- Eppendorf® Repeater® M4 Dispenser (Eppendorf® no. 4982000322)
- Eppendorf® Combitips advanced® pipette tips Biopur® grade, 0.1 ml
- Sartorius® eLINE® Electronic Pipette for volumes between 0.2-10 µL (Sartorius® no. 730021)
- Sartorius® 0.1-10 µL tips (Sartorius® no. 790010)
We will provide you with detailed instructions for use, including materials and equipment.
Do I need a Perfusion Rocker?
We strongly advise to use a MIMETAS Perfusion Rocker™ Mini to optimally control the perfusion flow in the OrganoPlate®. The Perfusion Rocker allows for detailed programming of an intermitting rocking action. For evaluation purposes a standard continuous rocker platform (see-saw) can be used. First check with your supplier if your rocker platform is suitable for use in cell culture incubators.
For some applications, for example neuronal cell culture, we advise not to perfuse the tissues. For these applications, a MIMETAS Perfusion Rocker is not required.