Human liver models
3D liver tissues in the OrganoPlate®
The MIMETAS OrganoPlate® is the platform of choice to create physiologically-relevant liver tissues. The OrganoPlate® offers essential benefits for liver models:
- 3D liver models from a range of cell sources (Primary human hepatocytes, HepaRG, iPSC-derived, UpCytes and HepG2)
- Defined ECMs tailored to support liver cells
- Membrane-free co-culture with stellate cells, Kupffer cells, bile duct and liver sinusoidal endothelial cells (LSECs)
- Perfusion supports long-term culture and formation of adjacent LSECs tubular structure
- Hepatocyte polarization into functional bile canaliculi
- Development of healthy and diseased liver phenotypes
- Easy culture maintenance and excellent 3D microscopy
Direct assay read-out in OrganoPlate® functional 3D liver models
The development of a functional 3D liver model requires multiple liver specific cells embedded in ECM to support 3D tissue organization, with adjacent patterning of LSECs and bile duct cells. The OrganoPlate® supports tissue development in a perfused membrane-free manner, with tailored ECM, providing a natural 3D tissue environment. Endothelial cells and other cell types (e.g. Kupffer cells, bile duct) can be deposited against the ECM forming a tubular monolayer with an apical and basal position. Furthermore, perfusion allows the long-term exposure to compounds for drug-induced liver toxicity screening.
Liver models in any throughput
In biology, you often need to test many samples and conditions. The OrganoPlate® supports 96 tissues on a single wells-plate. In addition, the plate is fully compatible with standard microtiter plate readers and microscopes. This combination allows assays in any throughput, rendering 3D liver models truly screenable. For example, you can assess the cellular response to hepatotoxicants by fluorescent and luminescent reporter assays. For assays applicable in the OrganoPlate®, visit our assay page.
The future is now
iPSC technology allows you to generate well-characterized hepatic cells with any genetic background. Culturing iPSC-derived hepatic cells in the OrganoPlate® offers exciting novel opportunities. For example, you can develop cell-based models for specific liver diseases, applicable for drug development and screening. This can aid fundamental research questions and compound evaluations.